CornerHouse is an excellent community resource. Here are some examples of topics/story angles we can talk about:
- What to do if a child alleges abuse. How a disclosure is handled is very important. For example, it is important to stay calm and provide appropriate, supportive responses.
- Recognizing Sexual Abuse. Sexual abuse may show itself through multiple symptoms. There are some signs you can look for to see if there might be a problem.
- The dynamics of how abuse affects a family. Abuse can take its toll on families. Family members and children need to be supported, empowered, and connected to helpful services.
- The importance of support for caregivers. Caregivers that receive the tools and education to help deal with the situation and support the child through the healing process, help to ensure that the child is less likely to develop long-term problems.
- Mandated Reporting. Some professionals have a mandated responsibility to report suspected child maltreatment. We can outline who those professionals are and the reporting process.
- How forensic interviews are conducted. CornerHouse developed a credible, reliable, developmentally flexible and non-traumatic forensic interview protocol appropriate for children, adolescents, and vulnerable adults who allege sexual abuse. We can explain what a forensic interview is and how it is conducted.
- The importance of a forensic interview, how it makes a difference, and how it helps make sure offenders are held accountable. CornerHouse is an integral component in facilitating the coordination of an interagency multidisciplinary team consisting of professionals from law enforcement, child protection, and the county attorney’s office. The collaboration that takes place among these professionals provides an opportunity to share knowledge and expertise pertaining to issues of investigation and the needs of children, adolescents, and vulnerable adults. We can talk through how the forensic interview process has changed over the years and highlight the benefits.
Please contact Patricia Harmon at 612-813-8320 or
if you have any questions or would like additional information about CornerHouse or any of the above topics. In addition, please feel free to contact us as resource for relevant stories.
NOTE: CornerHouse will not confirm or deny any specifics about a case, and will not comment on specific cases.